14 September 2010

Hair Whoes

A month ago I stated  that "I have decided that I would like to use this blog to chronicle my journey to longer and more healthy natural hair".  Well I changed my mind. I want to keep this blog going in the direction it was intended but I will post and comment often on where I am in my hair journey.
I'm still working on regimen and experimenting with what works for me. I have become a product junkie and the beauty supply store is becoming my #1 favorite spot.

I have been torn between continuing this journey with natural hair or giving in to the creamy crack and just trying to maintain healthy hair that way. I have been researching and browsing all the natural hair blogs and sites out there. There's so much info out there that I'm overwhelmed.
I have been reading post and stories of other women who are transitioning or are already 100% all natural.  They tell about there experiences good and bad and the support they have. Most of these women married or engaged. When asked how family and friends received this new them. Most of the women say their husbands love their new hair. Some said their husbands didn't care or that they were supportive. This made me wonder how my fiance would feel about my new curly hair. Through out my transition and now it has been a lot of curly ponytails, buns, straight ponytails, and wearing it straight.  I have been doing a few twist outs and want to experiment more but I'm afraid of how much volume my hair will have. I am too terrified to do a wash an go because I know as my hair completely dries and with the heat and humidity we have been having. I will accumulate Big Hair.  I have seen pictures of other natural sister who have done the wash and go, twist out, and braid out styles and their hair is big and gorgeous.. I get extra attention, winks, a little more flirting and compliments from B when I wear my hair out, mostly straight and when I let it grow without chopping it  off. He favors my hair longer. I think that had a lot to do with me being afraid to rock the big hair, I even asked him how he felt about big hair and he wasn't a fan but he didn't say he was against it either. He complimented my first attempt at a twist out and said he liked the curly ponytails. I told him how I wanted to try other styles but was afraid of how big my hair might get and that I didn't want to walk around looking like I have a dry afro. I didn't tell him that his approval played a role in how I felt about it. Labor day weekend we were chilling in the house and I washed and DC's my hair. I rinsed out the DC then reconditioned with Shea butter leave in and brushed my hair with the denman, I was sure yet what I wanted to do with my hair so I tied a silk scarf to the front of my head and pushed my hair back to keep it out my face until I figured out what I was gonna do. It turned into a lazy Sunday and I just chilled in the house a ran a few close errands after awhile my hair had dried. I hadn't paid it much attention but B noticed my hair dried and he said "that's not so big I kinda like it". I looked in the mirror and my hair was doable. Not too big at all. With the right amount of product to help define my curl and control frizziness I think I can do this and I believe I will have his support. Boy did I under estimate him and what I thought he preferred and liked. Now know that I believe that I will have his support in this journey I think I can allow myself to be more open to trying some of these styles that I'm deathly afraid of.  I know as time goes by and the more my hair grows the bigger it will get but maybe I will be completely out of my box and carefree by then and wont care. ( I hope) We shall see.

I still love my hair straight and I have researched a few things that will help me achieve that "relaxed" look.  While maintaining natural, moisturizes and healthy hair. At the same time helping me to grow my hair out and gain new length.  I just don't want to dry my hair out and have a lot of shedding and breakage because I'm using so much heat from all the blow drying and flat ironing. So to achieve this I want to try the Mizani Thermasilk 4 step system but I'm gonna invest my money and try the DivaSmooth Kit first. I have read reviews and seen YouTube clips about both products and it been all good. Diva Smooth is more expensive but it last longer (4 weeks) so i want to try that then maintain it with the Mizani System. I also want to dye my hair (get rid of this blonde) and deep condition my hair with henna very soon.

I have yet to create a regimen. I'm still learning and experimenting with products and protective styles for now. I know there are some must have things that I plan to purchase in the near future to get on the road to healthier hair first. As I go that route I'm sure to learn what works best and doesn't work at all for me. I'm still working on setting a schedule to stick with as far as my weekly and mini me's weekly hair care. I think Sunday and Wednesday evenings for mini me and maybe Friday and Tuesdays for me. I'm beginning to really really love and appreciate me hair again. Its still trial and error but I cant wait to see my result 6 months to a year from now.
Wish Me Luck!

Hugs and Butterfly Kisses

PS...Its really late and Im tired I will proofread and edit this post and the previous post in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments Welcome!